UPDATE 5-7-08

Latest word on events and news.

How does the DSO community feel about releasing portions of our work to the public? Personally in your opinion would you or others consider contributions to the project if you could see the code in part(or possibly in its entirity)?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Yes I or others would contribute!
70%
No I feel that myself or others would not.
20%
I dont know.
10%
OMG OMG OMG REALLY!?!?!? Are you seriously gonna let us have part or all of your coding gold!?!?
No votes

Total votes: 10

Baylek Swiftbite
Site Admin

UPDATE 5-7-08

Post by Baylek Swiftbite » Wed May 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Currently the dev team is in discussion of our open source agreement. We are considering releasing part of what we have so far to the public but what all this will include is still being decided upon.

With this in mind I am posting a POLL for those of you who are familiar with various programming languages to take part in this POLL and let us know your thoughts. A brief explanation of what we are going to release is as follows~

We currently are scripting in JAVA and will port it at a later date(after the communications portion of the engine) has been decidedly finished. At such time we will convert the engine to C or a variant. Game content will also be set in C or a variant. This will allow for simplicity as well as a braud flexability in game mechanics.

As you are the voice of the DSO community we would like to know your thoughts on this subject and also would like to ask those of you who can contribute to the project if we do so now would you review such releases and possibly contribute to our project with alterations or ideas concerning our source?
Last edited by Baylek Swiftbite on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to the mind? Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."

PauloftheWest
Site Admin

Post by PauloftheWest » Wed May 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Everyone,

Maybe I shouldn't really vote (since I'm coding), but I'd love to have more people code or help with anything. We just need to keep things manageable, but don't go overboard on the managing.

The code is currently under a 3-clause BSD license.

~PauloftheWest

didius

Post by didius » Wed May 07, 2008 5:18 pm

I am a big fan of not closing up source.
David Justus

rperpetuo

Post by rperpetuo » Thu May 08, 2008 9:20 pm

I guess i'll ask the question for us non programers who just want to see the game release, in our LIFETIME! Sorry, that was my pent up frustrated dark sun side ;) Anyway, I was wondering what is the downside of opening up more of the programing code to other people? Is there a possibility of screwing up the game itself, and the previous work of other programers? That's why I voted "I don't know".
That which does not kill you, can only make you stronger.

Baylek Swiftbite
Site Admin

hmm

Post by Baylek Swiftbite » Sat May 10, 2008 5:02 pm

We have just completed another development meeting, we are preparing the new board for our open release now!!
"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to the mind? Our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."

ojthesimpson

Post by ojthesimpson » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:11 pm

I would contribute a decent amount when the game was up and running
I don't take S$#% from anyone, not even me! maybe I do? yes I don't!