Before I get into a bird's eye view of where we're going, let me explain what we've built so far.
- GFF Interpreter - The dslib library, built in C. Made to extract data and resources from the GFF file structure.
- GFF Viewer - A small LOVE2D program that uses dslib to browse the old game files.
- UI - Another LOVE2D program that is the new client.
With that said, we would be derelict by neglecting to lay out our current vision as it stands. Subject to change, work in progress, no guarantees implied (and no money back either).
The goal: One client, three awesome games
- Shattered Lands
What we're currently rebuilding. This game has the the least bugs and is the best reference for how the game client should work mechanically.
- Wake of the Ravager
What we'll be building/incorporating next. When? Who knows.
- Crimson Sands
Save the best for last, right? We don't have a server, but by building a new client this gives us the opportunity to build a server using new technology, which will make the whole job easier.
- DS1 (aka Shattered Lands) and DS2 (aka Wake of the Ravager) rewrite will be faithful to the original games.
What does this mean? It's a matter of judgment to the dev team. We will be bringing bugfixes to the table and better accuracy towards pen and paper. It should be obvious that the original game followed P&P very closely, but if it's not then let's just declare they did, so we will also.
- DSO (aka Crimson Sands) rewrite will allow us to add new things and get creative.
- The first two games will still receive natural technical upgrades, like true widescreen. We may also enable new features via a "bonus mode" type of feature toggle.
Thoughts? Questions? Objections? Take them elsehwere!
Ok fine, post them here.