New Client Roadmap

This forum is about the new untitled Dark Sun Online.
bismuthdrummer

New Client Roadmap

Post by bismuthdrummer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:18 pm

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving."

Before I get into a bird's eye view of where we're going, let me explain what we've built so far.
  1. GFF Interpreter - The dslib library, built in C. Made to extract data and resources from the GFF file structure.
  2. GFF Viewer - A small LOVE2D program that uses dslib to browse the old game files.
  3. UI - Another LOVE2D program that is the new client.
This material has been built using the expertise we have as a team and not necessarily with a grand vision already in mind. What we're planning to do is rewrite the game engine using modern technologies but the copyrighted data from the old programs, of which the first two games are available for purchase on GOG.com.

With that said, we would be derelict by neglecting to lay out our current vision as it stands. Subject to change, work in progress, no guarantees implied (and no money back either).

The goal: One client, three awesome games
  1. Shattered Lands
    What we're currently rebuilding. This game has the the least bugs and is the best reference for how the game client should work mechanically.
  2. Wake of the Ravager
    What we'll be building/incorporating next. When? Who knows.
  3. Crimson Sands
    Save the best for last, right? We don't have a server, but by building a new client this gives us the opportunity to build a server using new technology, which will make the whole job easier.
What about new features? Can I have a half-dragonkin (not king) sorcerer (not wizard)?
  1. DS1 (aka Shattered Lands) and DS2 (aka Wake of the Ravager) rewrite will be faithful to the original games.
    What does this mean? It's a matter of judgment to the dev team. We will be bringing bugfixes to the table and better accuracy towards pen and paper. It should be obvious that the original game followed P&P very closely, but if it's not then let's just declare they did, so we will also.
  2. DSO (aka Crimson Sands) rewrite will allow us to add new things and get creative.
  3. The first two games will still receive natural technical upgrades, like true widescreen. We may also enable new features via a "bonus mode" type of feature toggle.
Finally, we need a name for the engine! My choice would be Soloscuro, which derives from the spanish "sol oscuro" meaning Dark Sun.

Thoughts? Questions? Objections? Take them elsehwere!

Ok fine, post them here. :)

PauloftheWest
Site Admin

Re: New Client Roadmap

Post by PauloftheWest » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:28 am

I definitely like the engine name for sol oscuro. Or the combo: Solocsuro.

Good start on the roadmap. I'll need to look into the GFFs more about the rules. I recall some of the rule tables are stored in there and it would be nice if we can extract those.

An architecture diagram might be a good next thing so we can identify interfaces and make sure we are happy with them. Or just spit-ball it like the wild west.

PauloftheWest
Site Admin

Post by PauloftheWest » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Random thought, once DS1 is up, it might be hard not to add a "multiplayer" option like in Baldur's Gate. It might be a good intermediate server before going into a full blown MMO operation that DSO was.

On that note, Bis, if you can, when writing the client and system operations (like combat roles, where monsters decide to roll) please make some interface/level of indirection so we can smoothly drop in a server instead of a local arbiter. If it is too much of a pain, no worries, I understand!

bismuthdrummer

Post by bismuthdrummer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:05 am

Sure, the timing on the deliverables is still highly variable. We could begin work on the networking sooner or later, it just depends on when we start developing the server.

The Lua scripts are broken into modules with (hopefully) clearly separated responsibilities. So the rules engine will be straightforward to port/implement elsewhere.

As a minor broadcast: we've broken some serious ground on the client with a start menu and character menus using only the material in the GFF files. And we're very close on music (MIDI) support as well. Thanks to Paul and Hotmustard for their excellent coding so far.

black

Post by black » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 pm

I know it's probably late for this and the tools of choice are already in place but have you guys ever heard of SFML? Simple & Fast Multimedia Library.
It is originally for C++ but it has bindings on many languages.

PauloftheWest
Site Admin

Post by PauloftheWest » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:27 am

Black,

For now we are using C & LUA/love2d which has worked well. There may be a couple of issues that SFML can help, but we will see when we get there.

Jump on the discord and say hi! I can get you hook into the system. https://discord.gg/VQjKEwH

~Paul